Time for some Introspection...
A 101 things I figured about myself. (The list has grown beyond 101, but I still call it so!)
One fine day I was blog-strolling and read this post:
55 things about me.
And was instantly charged to make my own. After rambling on for few weeks
I came up with this short list. It is far from complete, but a good start nonetheless.
If nothing else, you should write down yours in your own little
private book. It's an excellent introspective exercise.
... the list is growing ...
- I love to start numbering from zero instead of one
- I love to take photographs wherever I go
- I love harmony
- I love martial arts
- I can eat same food, day-in-day-out and not get bored
- I can listen to same song non-stop in loop for days and still enjoy it.
This freaks out all my buddies :)
- I can't live without access to my linux box. If you want to torture me then give me a
system without a command-line-shell. If you understand what I'm talking about then you are
one of us ;-)
- If you strike the right chord with me, I can ramble on and on for hours
- When I'm tensed, I like to watch movies or meditate
- I rate higher on nerd and geek scale than on social scale (not that I'm anti-social by
- I can't cheat others
- I love Linux
- I hate to suffocate my feet inside shoes, so you will often see
me roaming around bare-footed
- I prefer to tour a place that is sparsely crowded
- If GOD asked me do you believe Angels? I would say 'Yes, my Mommy'
- I believe that surviving in this world requires you to be extremely
mean and exceedingly cunning, yet I refuse to adopt to that kind of life style
- I would rather sit alone on my a$$ with a book than booze and party
- I would rather play exhausting sport than sit on my a$$ and read a book
- I love the fragrance of wet mud
- I like to dream
- I am a teetotaler, and this bugs a lot of my buddies
- If God gave me power to remove any 3 vices from world, I would remove:
- Greed and
- In my view breathing techniques are the most advanced form of exercises.
I have been trained in a few of these techniques, and some day I'll learn and master
the advanced forms of them.
- I am amongst the category of 'Early to Sleep And Early to Rise'.
And quite a few of my buddies hate me for this
- I don't like to celebrate my birthdays.
I think I'm too afraid of celebrations, that is why you
will rarely see me carousing at parties, etc.
As to WHY...
I don't know yet.
One fine morning I was introspecting as why can't I be normal like everyone
else and enjoy birthdays, parties, dancing, etc. After much
deliberation a voice came from the deep sub-conscious..
'You are scared of celebrations, Atul!' I gasped in utter disbelief.
I sat there for few minutes, only to realize to my horror that it was every
bit TRUE! OK, don't psycho-analyze me too much!
- I love to write on paper with my 0.5mm mechanical pencil
- I am exceedingly choosy about my writing instruments, there is only
one brand of mechanical-pencils I trust "Faber Castle" and lately Rotring
- I love oil pastel crayons
- I am very economical in using most of the resources at my disposal
- Cutting me off from my email is another way to torture me :)
- I am religious, but not orthodox
- Usually, I don't tend to worry about what you think of me, unless
you are someone very important in my life
- I have few close friends
- I love chocolates, in anything and everything
(Note: You can bribe me chocolates into doing almost anything)
- Steaming hot cup of ginger-cardamom-pepper milk-tea is my favourite beverage.
And my Mommy's love transforms it into ambrosia.
- Lately I have developed a taste and passion for green/white teas
- Cold coffee (decaf and light) with ice-cream comes next (but unlike the other 2, I don't place this in the category of healthy beverages)
- Amongst flowers, I love the fragrance of Jasmine and Lavender
- My bedroom will always smell good
- I like neat-n-tidy bed with a crease-less sheet on it (just like you see in your hotel rooms)
Yet I prefer sleeping on hard-surface, with just a quilt between me and the floor :)
- I love my books and take great care of them. In fact I'm too emotional about
- You can easily win my wrath by mis-handling my books
- I detest using pencils as bookmarks, dog-earing pages, or even carelessly
marking lines without a ruler
- You will always hear soft soothing ambient music playing in my room
- I am practitioner of subtlety (I don't even know what that means! But hey, what's life
without a curve ball!)
- I am very optimistic about my pessimism
- My Belief:
If faith in ourselves had been more extensively taught and practiced,
I am sure a very large portion of the evils and miseries that we have would
- I'm a student of practice (just as one of my profs is Professor of the Practice)
- I think good algorithms should be like bikinis... saving people a lot of guesswork
- I hate deadlines to the CORE! Because it's not the end result that I'm interested in, it's the journey that's more exciting to me! That's where the learning happens.
- As a kid, I had a fetish for fancy cigarette boxes
- For me, there's no such thing as watching too much movie, nor drinking too much tea and playing too much football or volleyball!
- To me, there's a HUGE difference between coding & programming
- I trust most of the real programmers code in vim
- To me, there's no such thing as a Stupid Question (only unless, the intention of
question is to show your participation)
- I believe You only see what you want to see
- I am big proponent of believing in instincts, I think it's far superior than a conditioned intellect! But it is extremely difficult to live by it.
- Everyone who doesn't agree with me is my friend
- I have come to believe that no good deed goes unpunished
- I love Huffman encoding
- Smiles can work wonders
- I'm extremely intolerant of songs and music not suiting my taste, including loud music
- After vibrant red, deep bottle green color is my favorite. Followed
by beige, maroon, violet and fuchsia.
- I love camo design
- I either forgive you in an instant, or never for the rest of my life. But either
way you won't figure it out easily.
- I'm not a loner, but from time to time I need some time alone to
re-contemplate the meaning of life
- Body odor is a BIG turn-off to me
- I think a lot about money, but I'm NOT money minded
- I live thriftily, for most part
- Lack of personal hygiene is another BIG turn off
- Girl's beautiful long hair turn me on :) And if the hair smell good,
I can go head-over-heels :-P
- Girls look cute when they wear over-sized pull-overs and
carry themselves gracefully
- Too much arrogance is a deterrent
- I prefer to wear unfashionable comfortable clothes over smart looking
- I preach respect for all living beings around us, not just humans,
which kind of tells you I'm a hardcore vegetarian.
- The text I read, if not grammatically perfect, should at the least not have any
misspellings. Be it emails, article, newspaper, or even IM chat.
- I might look exceptionally unruffled in most pensive of situations, but that
does not necessarily always reflect my inner state
- I have a BAD temper, and I'm thankful that only a handful few have ever seen it
- Sometimes I believe I think more than I should, more thoughtful than I should be
- From time to time, I can become too centered, giving an impression that I'm
oblivious of the existence of rest of the world. This is kind of unnerving
to people around me
- I have a fetish for Japanese machines, esp. Japanese cars
- I love everything my Mommy cooks for me
- I don't mind doing stupid reckless things with my close friends around
- I don't believe in astrology too much. It is an approximate science, though. Nonetheless,
many a times I'm tempted to believe I'm a true
- If I don't talk to you in a while, that doesn't mean I'm pissed off at you, and
neither that I don't care for you.
- I view cricket as a Pregnant Men's Game! I can't come to terms that it is
a religion in my country.
To me, it is the MOST wasteful of sports, after Golf.
- People who don't know me think I'm shy. And people who do know me wish I were!
- I usually tend to infer more about a person from the way [s]he talks of others than
he talks of himself
- At times I can be the most boring living creature on the planet. But thank GOD
I can't stay that way too long :)
- I myself sometimes believe that my laptop is my better half!
- I can go on for the day with just a breakfast and
apple juice a smoothie!
- When tired, a splash of ice-cold water on face works miracles on me
- I can't go to bed without brushing my teeth and reading a book
- I love to collect coffee/tea mugs, one day I'll have a nice collection
- Love the ancient Japanese art of paper folding, aka Origami
- I love arcane regular expressions
- I hate using a mouse, so I configure my system to let me use keyboard for almost
- I love ThinkPad's trackpoint
- I hate Alcohol, mostly for alcohol-induced frivolity
- I can laugh alone (of course, not without a reason!)
- I have come to believe with my heart-and-soul in something that can been aptly
summarized by Jonas Salk's incredibly profound and well-thought quote...
If all the insects on earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on earth would disappear.
But on other hand, if all humans disappeared, within 50 years all species would flourish as never before!
This is an excellent summary of the state of mankind (I hate to use the suffix 'kind'
in this context!) as I see it today and for a foreseeable future.
- I don't mind wearing lightly soiled clothes through the day (frankly, I don't care at all),
but I need the cleanest of clothes when I activate the snooze button at my slumber.
- I spend more time digging and fixing what is not right within me, than I spend enjoying
what is good in me. I believe it helps me make a better me as days pass by,
but at the same time I miss out on enjoying the good things in me.
While it helps me make me "the me" I am, I don't necessarily see this as a good thing.
Neither am I actively working at fixing it :-S
- Under the mature, unruffled and composed demeanour of mine, is a soul in eternal search for peace and
harmony and an overly inquisitive and curious child trained and unwilling to settle for anything mediocre
- I mistrust all expert opinions
- I'm a man of simple and little pleasures